Weight loss is commonly referred to as the slimming down of the human body through calorie counting and working out. In the background of health or physical fitness, it refers to the loss of body mass due to loss of body fluid or body fat. Calculated weight loss can result in shaping up of the human body but unintentional weight loss might be the cause of a serious medical condition.
Myths about Weight Loss
Are Your Genes Responsible For It?
Early scientists carried out experiments with chubby mice and discovered the fat genes now called FTO. People with FTO are 40% more at the risk of having diabetes and 60% more at the risk of being obese. Half of the population around the world has one copy of FTO and 16% is subjected to two copies of FTO, making it almost impossible to shun weight gain. But Claude Bouchard, PhD, executive director of the Pennington Biomedical Research Center at Louisiana State University System, states that working out regularly can reduce the risk of weight gain to a large extent which is a beacon of hope for all of us.
Reverse Your Metabolism
The most common myth about weight loss is that metabolism cannot be reversed. But with a standard exercise regime, metabolism can be slowed down. According to Scientists at the Helsinki University Central Hospital, when you gain eleven pounds or more, your body enters a vicious circle of gaining weight and not being able to lose it, making it impossible for you to look slim ever again.
Sleep Your Heart Out
Generally, sleep is associated with weight gain. However, lack of sleep is responsible for hormone imbalances and triggers a decrease in leptin (which helps us to feel full) and an increase in gherlin (which triggers hunger), resulting in us feeling hungry at all times. Sleep can be the most enjoyable and inexpensive way to lose weight.
Lose Stress, Lose Weight
Stress is harmful for both your physical and mental health. Stress sparks carbohydrate cravings which in turn result in weight gain. Make sure to take out time for yourself and enjoy doing anything which releases your stress.
Pregnant Women Should Watch What They Eat
Women satiate their pregnancy cravings with all varieties of food which results in higher levels of glucose and free fatty acids floating around the womb which can make your child obese even before birth. So, pregnant women should watch what they eat and should not surrender to all pregnancy cravings.
Tips for Weight Loss
- Keep a journal. Write down what you eat for at least two weeks and you will end up eating 15% less food. It will help you to keep track of your unhealthy diet and cut it from your life
- Get rid of your huge clothes. The smaller size of clothes you have, the harder you will work to fit into them. Since you won’t have anything else to wear, you won’t have any option but to lose weight.
- Ditch the restaurants. Try eating at home. It will save you both money and the added calories.
- Water is the mantra. Try to drink as much water as you can throughout the day as it flushes out toxins from your body and helps you to feel full.
- White foods lead to weight gain as it contains a large amount of simple carbohydrates which can be devastating for your blood sugar system, leading you to obesity
- Be a morning person. Wake up early and have a hearty breakfast. Studies show you tend to eat less in the evening if you eat properly in the morning. Morning calories are easier to burn than dinner calories.
GET FREE INSTANT ACCES
Join our Newsletter and receive